Substation, Transmission and Distribution Planning Engineer – System Planning and Research Department- Middle Street
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The opportunity awaits qualified results oriented professionals who are interested in joining our team within the System Planning and Research Department- Middle Street. Interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience are invited to apply for the vacant position of Substation, Transmission and Distribution Planning Engineer.
Under the general direction of the System Planning and Research Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for performing general administrative and technical functions associated with the position of Substation, Transmission & Distribution Planning Engineer while, complying with ISO 9001 Quality Management System, GPL’s Performance Management System (PMS) and the other policies and management systems of the Company.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Assist the Head ofUnit to conduct research to support GPL’s corporate aim of SUCCESS, LCDS-2030 and other National Energy Priorities.
- Conduct field works relative to identifying plots for Substations and Rights-of-Way for Transmission and Distribution Lines, with the assistance of key Government Stakeholders and the relevant GPL Departments.
- Lead/Participate in Site Visits.
- Update GPL’s Development and Expansion GIS database relative to T&D and Substation Upgrades and Expansions, ensuring alignment with National Developments.
- Perform Facility Studies in accordance with the National Grid Code.
- Assist with providing inputs to Draft Project Concept Note, Terms of Reference, and Bankable Project Documents.
- Assist with providing Technical inputs to EPC and IPP RFPs.
- Assisting Head of Unit with day-to-day administrative activities.
- Orient, mentor, coach, and train direct reports in an effort to aid the development of the requisite job skills.
- Ensure Direct Reports’ compliance with Company Rules and Regulations and initiate disciplinary actions in keeping with Company’s Rules of Conduct.
I l. Enforce strict compliance with the requirements of the safety and health legislation, regulations, and contractual obligations.
- Perform other duties that are pertinent to the objectives of the Department’s Action Plan, and by extension, the Divisional Business Plan, to support the Company’s Corporate Strategic Plan, as assigned by or through the Head of Unit, Manager, or the Divisional Director — Engineering Services.
- Use of Microsoft Suite Problem solving and analytical skills
- Conflict resolution skills
- Flexible and possess the ability to perform effectively under pressure
- Familiarity with electric distribution systems
- Familiarity with electric transmission systems
- Familiarity with electric generation systems- Renewable and conventional
- Familiarity with electric substation systems
- Be conversant with Safety Act and GPL Safety Handbook
- Be conversant with International Standards such as IEEE, ANSI, ESRA, Safety Codes, GPL Grid Code.
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Ability to analyze engineering drawing, designs and using the associated software.
- Knowledge of circuit analysis through the use ofthe appropriate software- AutoCAD and georeferenced tools.
- Conversant with ISO Quality Management System
- Conversant with GPL Performance Management System (PMS)
- Be conversant with the FACTORIES ACT CHAPTER 95:02, OCCUPATIONAL
- SAFETY AND HEALTH ACT CHAPTER NO 32 OF 1997, ELECTRICITY
- SECTOR REFORM ACT CHAPTER 57:01 OF 1999, ENVIRONMENTAL
- PROTECTION ACT NO 11 OF 1996 ofthe laws of Guyana, and the Guyana Power & Light License which include the STANDARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR ELECTRIC SERVICES of October 2010.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution with at least one (1) year of utility experience relative to the Key Responsible Areas
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution with at least three (3) years of utility experience relative to the Key Responsible Areas.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc., 257/259 Middle Street Georgetown or email email@example.com not later than Friday, June 2, 2023.