Manager – Substation and Specialized Equipment Maintenance
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
Guyana Power and Light Inc. invites suitably qualified candidates for the position of Manager – Substation and Specialized Equipment Maintenance.
Under the direction of the Divisional Director – Power Generation and Delivery, the incumbent will be responsible to ensure as follows:
- Maintenance and repairs are done to all equipment used for the generation of electric power and its delivery to the customers through the transmission, substation and distribution network.
- All HV and MV equipment at generating stations and sub-stations are protected against damage caused by faults and that the grid is safeguarded against the effects of faults and disturbances.
- All waste and emissions from substation from sub-station maintenance or testing is properly managed in keeping with environmental protection requirements.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Lead a multi-disciplinary team with expertise in power system protection, instrumentation, electrical and substation maintenance, system chemical analysis, power system analysis and Specialized MV equipment.
- Oversee the periodic inspection of sub-station infrastructure and equipment as well as protection and instrumentation equipment to identify and mitigate risks.
- Ensure that accurate and detailed maintenance records and records of significant malfunctions, failures and replacements of major assets are maintained.
- Ensure that maintenance plans are developed and implemented for all protection, instrumentation, switchgear, substation electrical and MV components, chemical analysis, voltage regulation and compensation and specialized equipment at GPL’s facilities, taking inspection results, failure analyses, environmental impact and risk analyses into consideration.
- Oversee the continuous evaluation of system protection and controls and associated communication media to ensure their adequacy and coordination with other devices.
- Ensure that there is adequate implementation of transmission, distribution and generation protection relay settings, guided by protection system short circuit and other parameter simulations.
- Oversee root cause analysis of all failures or significant malfunctions of major system components and prepare reports detailing measures that will prevent a recurrence.
- Develop and communicate written recommendations to management detailing reliability risks and improvement opportunities based on root cause. Include preliminary cost/benefit estimates for remediation of risk.
- Utilize analysis results to recommend improvements or upgrades to equipment to support improved performance.
- Administer efficiently; the analysis daily and planned activities, resources of the Department, within the framework of the Safety and Health Regulations of Guyana Power & Light Inc.
- Prepare and/or approve acquisition of resources to continuously support the efficient and effective administrative and technical operations of the Department.
- Orient, mentor, and coach direct reports and other department staff to aid in their development of special knowledge and job skill sets, within the framework of the Divisional Business Plan.
- Constantly assess the effectiveness of actions taken to improve reliability performance and use this in planning to improve on efficiency.
- Ensure that all substation waste and emissions are adequately managed and compliance with relevant environmental requirements is maintained.
- Share reliability risk information across relevant sections of the department and promote continuous learning and improvement regarding reliability and risk.
- Keep abreast of the state of the art within the major functional disciplines and in the area of maintenance management.
- Ensure that recommendations for repair or replacement of substation and specialized equipment are informed by the use of life expectancy assessments from chemical and operational analysis, and that they are done in keeping with environmental impact provisions.
- Identify and mitigate operational risks.
- Performs any other duties as directed by the Power Generation and Delivery Divisional Director.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with specialization in Electric Power Engineering or Reliability Engineering with at least eight years of experience in a large power utility. Experience must include the use of utility simulation and modelling tools.
Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Engineering Management, Project Management, Reliability Engineering, Renewables or related discipline with at least three years’ experience in a large power utility. Experience must include the maintenance of electrical and electronic equipment.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to the Divisional Director – Human Resources, 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown or email: email@example.com no later than September 30, 2020.