Environmental Officer – Health, Safety, Environmental & Laboratory Services Department – Carmichael Street
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The Guyana Power & Light Inc. invites applications from interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacant position of Environmental Officer – Health, Safety, Environmental & Laboratory Services Department – Carmichael Street.
The incumbent will provide practical responses to environmental issues and support the delivery and promotion of programs and projects to achieve positive environmental outcomes for Guyana Power & Light Inc.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Implementation and management of GPLs Environmental Management System (EMS), including writing and reviewing of associated policies and procedures.
- Assist in obtaining permits from the Environmental Protection Agency for GPLs plants and networks
- Undertake the monitoring and inspection of all GPL facilities to ensure compliance with Regulations, Policies and Procedures.
- Ensure the delivery of environmental programs and projects, including liaison with divisional /departmental heads and contractors.
- Prepare, review, and update environmental investigation reports.
- Design projects that lead to environmental protection, such as oil and noise pollution control systems, etc.
- Keep abreast of environmental legislation and Company policy to ensure defined standards and best practices are implemented.
- Compile relevant technical documents, permits and management reports.
- Provide technical support for environmental remediation projects.
- Analyze scientific data and do quality-control checks
- Monitor the progress of environmental improvement programs.
- Advise on procedures for cleaning up contaminated sites.
- Report environmental incidents to management, including mishaps such as internal spills, external releases, and potential permit non-compliances.
- Perform other related duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an Authorized Officer.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor of Science Degree in Environmental Management/ Chemistry or any related field from the University of Guyana or an accredited institution, with at least two (2) years’ experience in electric utility services or other Industrial related services.
Diploma in Natural or Social Sciences or a related field from the University of Guyana or an accredited institution, with at least three (5) years’ experience in electric utility services or other related services.
How to Apply
Applications along with Curriculum Vitae should be addressed and submitted to the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown not later than Friday, June 3, 2022.