Design Engineer – Engineering, Designs & Standards Department – Middle Street
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The Guyana Power & Light Inc. invites applications from interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacant position of Design Engineer – Engineering, Designs & Standards Department – Middle Street, Georgetown.
The incumbent will be responsible to the Engineering, Designs & Standards Manager for performing general administrative, managerial and technical functions associated with the position of Design Engineer while complying with ISO 9001 Quality Management System, GPL’s Performance Management System (PMS), and the other policies and management systems of the Company.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Surveying of projects, including conducting site visits;
- Preparation of distribution network designs;
- Preparation of estimates and bill of quantities;
- Preparation and finalization of quotation details, including terms of supply up to an agreed level of authority;
- Preparation of authorization of work for implementation of network extensions / modifications, and other duties that any be assigned from time to time by the Senior System Planning & Design Engineer and System Planning & Design Manager.
- Orient, mentor, coach and train subordinate staff in an effort to aid their development of the requisite job skills;
- Assist with the preparation of annual operational and capital budgets to ensure conformity with budget guidelines;
- Identify and continuously monitor risks that threaten the achievement of the department’s goals, objectives, and targets, and taking appropriate actions to mitigate those risks;
- Identify opportunities that can enhance the achievements of the department’s goals, objectives and targets, and taking actions to capitalize on those opportunities;
- Ensure subordinates comply with Company Rules and Regulations, and initiate disciplinary actions in keeping with Company’s Rules of Conduct.
- Enforce strict compliance with the requirements of the safety and health legislation, regulations and contractual obligations;
- Ensure that the environment and area under control is kept clean and tidy at all times;
- Promptly investigate and make recommendations through written reports with respect to infractions of Safety and Health Regulations;
- Conducts continuous assessment and monitoring of staff work performance and development, and taking steps to correct poor work performance.
- Perform other related duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an Authorized Officer.
- High level performance in Project Management, people management & team building skills
- A level of problem solving and Analytical Skills
- A level of problem solving and Analytical Skills using Electrical Engineering Principles
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to utilise appropriate software, including GPL’s Costing Program to prepare and edit Estimates, Bill of Quantities and Authorization of work.
- Demonstrate competencies of using Microsoft Excel, Words, and PowerPoint to prepare reports and presentation.
- Ability to use AutoCAD and GIS Software, and Devices.
- Ability to analyse engineering designs, technical specification and BoQs
- Good working knowledge of the NEC, NESC, IEEE and ANSI Standards.
- Flexible and possess the ability to perform effectively under pressure
- Conversant with ISO Quality Management System
- Conversant with GPL Performance Management System (PMS)
- Be conversant with the FACTORIES ACT CHAPTER 95:02, OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ACT CHAPTER N0 32 OF 1997, ELECTRICITY SECTOR REFORM ACT CHAPTER 57:01 OF 1999, ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT NO 11 0F 1996 of the laws of Guyana, and the Guyana Power & Light License which include the STANDARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR ELECTRIC SERVICES of October, 2010.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor of Science Degree or Bachelor of Engineering Degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Guyana or its equivalent from an accredited institution with five (5) years relevant experience with demonstrable exposure and success in the relevant field.
REWARD: Commensurate with qualification and experience.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc., 257/259 Middle Street Georgetown or email email@example.com not later than Friday, August 26, 2022.