Auto Mechanic Technician
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The Guyana Power & Light Inc. invites applications from interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacant position of Auto Mechanic Technician – within the Fleet Maintenance Department – Kingston, Georgetown.
Under the general direction of the Supervisor, the incumbent will be responsible Carry out any repairs and maintenance to the company fleet of vehicle, and maintains service operations by inspecting and maintaining vehicles.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Effect major overhauls routine repairs and services to the company’s fleet of vehicles.
- Examine a mechanical defect and determine the nature of repairs to be done.
- Read cylinder bore and crankshaft gauges etc. and make the necessary recommendations to the Fleet Maintenance Engineer.
- Interpret diagrams and manuals to assist in carrying out checks, diagnoses and repairs.
- Assist with practical training of Apprentices, Motor Vehicle Technician II, Motor Vehicle Technician III and Trainee Technicians.
- Effect a basic amount of welding, soldering and burning which may be necessary to expedite a job.
- Determine vehicle faults, both Mechanical and Electrical.
- Complete the job cards after the completion of each job.
- Managing routine maintenance work (replacing fluids, lubricating parts etc.) aiming to vehicle functionality and longevity
- Repair or replace broken or dysfunctional parts and fix issues (e.g. leaks)
- Provide estimates ( time, effort) for a repair or maintenance job
- Ensure that duties are executed in a safe and careful manner and in accordance with the company’s Safety Codes and Practices.
- Identify problems with vehicles using the diagnostic equipment.
- Follow checklists to ensure all important parts are examined, including belts, hoses, steering systems, spark plugs, brake and fuel systems, wheel bearings, and other potentially troublesome areas.
- Prepare time sheets in the absence of the supervisor.
- Supervise equipment available for use by inspecting and testing vehicles; completing preventive maintenance such as engine tune-ups, oil changes, tire rotation and changes, wheel balancing, and replacing filters.
- Maintain vehicle functional condition by listening to operators’ complaints conducting inspections; repairing engine failures; repairing mechanical and electrical systems malfunctions; replace parts and components.
- Verifies vehicle serviceability by conducting test drives; adjusting controls and systems.
- Conduct vehicle inspection to attain and retain contract.
- Assist with conducting driving tests.
- Ability to apply mechanical principles to practical situations using hand, measuring and diagnostic tools also techniques in effecting repairs to vehicles/equipment.
- Ability to perform in repetitive and organized activities such as test driving vehicles/equipment to determine operating efficiency.
- Familiar with the application of all types of vehicle oils and lubricants.
- Ability to perform troubleshooting and repair on engines, equipment and vehicles
- Ability to disassemble, overhaul and re-install engine components.
- Familiar with the requirements and needs necessary for good preventative maintenance
- Ability to handle protective devices to meet system requirements.
Required Qualifications and Experience
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Technician Diploma in Mechanical Engineering from Government Technical Institue (GTI) with three (3) years of relevant experience.
- Three (3) subjects CSEC including Mathematics and English Language (Grades I-III) plus a Craft Course in Motor Mechanic from Government Technical Institute (GTI) with five (5) years relevant experience.
How to Apply
Applications along with Curriculum Vitae should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown or at firstname.lastname@example.org not later than January 20, 2023