System Studies & Automation Engineer- System Planning and Research Department- Middle Street
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The opportunity awaits qualified results oriented professionals who are interested in joining our team within the System Planning and Research Department- Middle Street. Interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience are invited to apply for the vacant position of System Studies & Automation Engineer.
Under the general direction of the System Planning and Research Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for performing general administrative and technical functions associated with the position of System Studies and Automation Engineer while, complying with ISO 9001 Quality Management System, GPL’s Performance Management System (PMS) and the other policies and management systems of the Company.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Assist the Head of Unit to conduct research to support GPL’s corporate aim of SUCCESS, LCDS-2030 and other National Energy Priorities.
- Development detail models to conduct power system studies and other simulations to provide technical guidance, such as Technical Losses Profiles for Transmission and Distribution Lines, and Substations.
- Perform Power System Studies, which include Feasibility Studies, Full Interconnection Studies (Electrical and Automation), Basic System Studies to facilitate technical guidance, Update Technical Losses Profiles.
- Assist with providing inputs to Draft Project Concept Note, Terms of Reference, and Bankable Project Documents.
5. Assist with providing Technical inputs to EPC and IPP RFPs.
- Assist with the Review of Proposals and provide inputs to the composition of reports.
- Lead/Participate in Site Visits
- Assisting Head ofUnit with day-to-day administrative activities.
- Orient, mentor, coach, and train direct reports in an effort to aid the development of the requisite job skills.
- Ensure Direct Reports’ compliance with Company Rules and Regulations and initiate disciplinary actions in keeping with Company’s Rules of Conduct.
- Enforce strict cornpliance ».rith the requirernents Of the safety and health legislation, regulations, and contractual obligations.
- Perform other duties that are pertinent to the objectives of the Department’s Action Plan, and by extension, the Divisional Business Plan, to support the Company’s Corporate Strategic Plan, as assigned by or through the Head of Unit, Manager, or the Divisional Director — Engineering Services.
- Use of Microsoft Suite
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Conflict resolution skills
- Flexible and possess the ability to perform effectively under pressure
- Familiarity with electric distribution systems
- Familiarity with electric transmission systems
- Familiarity with electric generation systems- Renewable and conventional
- Familiarity with electric substation systems
- Be conversant with Safety Act and GPL Safety Handbook
- Be conversant with International Standards such as IEEE, ANSI, ESRA, Safety Codes, GPL Grid Code.
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
- Ability to analyse engineering drawing, designs and using the associated software.
- Knowledge of circuit analysis through the use of the appropriate software- PSS Sinical, PSSE & Etap.
- Conversant with ISO Quality Management System
- Conversant with GPL Performance Management System (PMS)
- Be conversant with the FACTORIES ACT CHAPTER 95:02, OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ACT CHAPTER NO 32 OF 1997, ELECTRICITY SECTOR REFORM ACT CHAPTER 57:01 OF 1999, ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT NO 11 OF 1996 of the laws of Guyana, and the Guyana Power & Light License which include the STANDARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR ELECTRIC SERVICES of October 2010.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution with at least one (1) year of utility experience relative to the Key Responsible Areas.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution with at least three (3) years of utility experience relative to the Key Responsible Areas.
Salary Grade: Commensurate with Junior Management ‘B’ emoluments.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc., 257/259 Middle Street Georgetown or email email@example.com not later than Friday, June 2, 2023.