Shift Control Engineer
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The opportunity awaits qualified results oriented professionals who are interested in joining our team within the System Control & Engineering Services Department – Sophia, Georgetown. Interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience are invited to apply for the vacant position of Shift Control Engineer.
Under the general supervision of the System Operations/Planning Engineer, the incumbent is responsible for efficient and effective operations of the station and its interconnected system, along with the following.
ESSENTIALS OF THE JOB:
- Provide protective supervision to all subordinates so as to ensure that electricity is distributed within the statutory and general requirements set out by the G.P.L Management.
- Determine and maintain on shift, the moment to moment status of the performance of the generation and transmission facilities.
- Supervise and direct overall operations of these facilities in order to provide a continuous supply of electrical energy to customers, in a safe, economical and reliable manner.
- At the start of each shift and before relieving the former ensure that an update status of the system is communicated to and received from ( relieved of / relieving), so as to ensure that the continuous operation of the System is maintained.
- Ensure that the system status is accurately maintained on the Mimic/Mosaic boards and the System Shared Computer file.
- Ensure that the quality of supply to the consumer (receiving end voltage and supply frequency) is maintained within specified regulatory limits.
- Supervise the expediting of all planned and unplanned maintenance activities regarding station and line plants and protective apparatus within the interconnected System.
- Initiate and Coordinate mapping exercises so as to continuously update control center of Network Upgraded and or changes.
- Ensure that shift personnel at the Sophia Control Centre & sub stations adhere strictly to guidelines set out in the Safety Rules and Regulations, and the Safety Codes of Practice of the GPL Inc.
- Orient, Coach and Mentor subordinate Staff.
- Exercise effective discipline over subordinate staff in keeping with the Company’s Rules and Regulations.
- Assist in setting performance targets, evaluating performances and identifying training needs of employees.
- Promptly investigate and make recommendations through written reports with respect to infractions of Safety and Health regulations.
- Conduct continuous assessment and monitoring of staff work performance and development, and taking steps to correct poor work performance.
- Prepare performance plan.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an Authorized Officer.
- Thorough knowledge of the operations of Power Generation, Distribution and associated auxiliary equipment.
- Knowledge of power plant monitoring systems
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship
- Ability to diagnose and assess operational problems.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement effective and proper power plant operations processes.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering from a recognized university with three (3) years relevant experience.
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering, from a recognized university, or its equivalent, with seven (7) years relevant experience
Salary Scale: Junior Management
How to Apply
Applications along with your Curriculum Vitae, should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, not later than Friday, August 25, 2023.