Senior Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) Engineer – Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) Unit, System Control & Engineering Services Department – Sophia
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The Guyana Power & Light Inc. invites applications from interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacant position of Senior Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) Engineer – within the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) Unit, System Control & Engineering Services Department – Sophia.
The incumbent will ensure proper management, maintenance, and development of the Automation system for power networks and its related hardware and software components. Additionally, his/her role is to manage and maintain real time and historical data and all relevant application programs ensuring the control room and other staff can easily get the data to discharge their responsibilities for control, telecomm, tele-control and metering.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Manage the overall operations, maintenance, enhancement of the SCADA system – its applications and databases – to ensure that accurate and timely operational data is provided to the grid operation, real time engineers, and system control staff.
- Facilitate system design, development, testing, implementation and support for the SCADA system – its applications and databases – and liaise with the Engineering, Designs and Standards Department.
- Plan for and ensure maintenance and reliability of the SCADA system and related control facilities.
- Ensure a high degree of data availability and quality presentation of SCADA data, secure and resilient computing facilities, control application programs, and local area networks to satisfy business requirements.
- Coordinate computer network administration and hardware maintenance.
- Evaluate and recommend new technology options for the Divisional Director – Power Generation and Delivery
- Prepare the financial and manpower budgets for all requirements related to the scope of work of automation projects and gain approval from management.
- Enhance the technical capabilities of the system operator in terms of skills and infrastructure in order to ensure the effective utilization of computer resources.
- Ensure provision of secured and resilient computing facilities, information systems as well as local/wide area networks telecommunication services to satisfy business requirements and maintain confidentiality of the System Operator data Review the system operator business process and implement computing systems changes if needed, in order to align computing services with business goals and processes.
- Recommend, instigate, evaluate and implement IT, automation and communication projects that will bring added values to the system operator’s operations and are approved by the Management.
- Coordinate the interface with corporate IT infrastructure of business applications to ensure corporate strategies, standards, policies and procedures are applied where applicable.
- Evaluate new technology options, assess these meet the system operator’s needs and give appropriate advice/recommendations to management.
- Ensure process of the career, competency, and succession plans for section personnel.
- Ensure competency standards for positions in automation department are developed.
- Evaluate the performance and achievements of staff.
- Ensure that the staff work is done in a proper competent manner.
- Solve and /or report obstacles, which may arise and affect the section’s performance to the Divisional Director – Power Generation and Delivery.
- Review the technical evaluation of tender documentation, consultant’s proposals and contract specifications for major projects.
- Prepare and coordinate staff training requirements.
- Ensure that all necessary SCADA/EMS system as-built information, maintenance and operating drawings and manuals are adequate in content, and are clear and fully translated into English if necessary and readily available. Prepare annual Budget.
- Drive the Company’s vehicle as required provided being a licensed driver and certified by the Fleet Maintenance Department.
- Perform other related duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an Authorized Officer.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Master’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Engineering, Electrical or Electronic Engineering from an accredited institution.
A Bachelor of Science Degree in Information Technology, Computer Engineering, Electrical or Electronic Engineering from the University of Guyana or an accredited institution with a minimum of five (5) years’ relevant experience.
How to Apply
Applications along with Curriculum Vitae should be addressed and submitted to the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown not later than Wednesday, June 1, 2022.