Protection Programming Engineer
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The opportunity awaits qualified results oriented professionals who are interested in joining our team within the Specialized Equipment and Substation Maintenance Department – Sophia, Georgetown. Interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience are invited to apply for the vacant position of Protection Programming Engineer.
Under the general direction of the Senior Protection and Maintenance Engineer, the incumbent is required to work with a team of Protection Programming Engineers; to effectively manage the needs to have an efficient Protection System for GPL’s MV and HV infrastructure across the power grid.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Supervise, execute and maintain the protection policy employed in the GPL for all HV, MV and LV circuits in the power grid and conduct all protection and automation activity in this regard.
- Calculate, determine and periodically update the setting values of the protection relays in the DBIS.
- Install and calibrate relays and equipment associated with the protection schemes, automation and automated control systems of substations installed in the DBIS.
- Carry out all the necessary tests of protection schemes and evaluate them accordingly.
- Interpret oscillography records associated with all the events that occurred in the DBIS and participate in the analysis and technical commission of the failures that occurred in the system.
- Develop projects for installations related to automatic protection and measurement.
- Make practical adjustments to ensure the correct execution of the project with the appropriate quality within the scheduled time.
- Update the folders and technical documentation of the equipment worked on or inspected on a regular basis.
- Advise personnel in all aspects of testing and repairing of complex and simple electronic or non-electronic relays, pneumatic, hydraulic, and thermal actuators, or similar instrument actuators.
- Prepare annual budgets, planned maintenance charts and other commissioning and recommissioning schedules, monthly reports, progress reports, etc.
- Respond within a reasonable time to emergencies and/or system requests.
- Guarantee that the systems of responsibility of inventories and assets are fulfilled in accordance with the accounting procedures.
- Ensure that the department’s “Joint Occupational Safety and Health Committee” meetings are held on a monthly basis.
- Conduct performance evaluations of subordinate personnel, assess and determine training needs, and make recommendations.
- Orient, guide and train subordinate personnel to help in the development of the necessary job skills.
- Prepare exams for the Training Department, which will determine the promotion of Officials / Electrical Technicians in the Section.
- Prepare and present the monthly report of the Section before the fourth (4th) day of the previous month.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an Authorized Officer.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering/Project Management or its equivalent from an accredited institution with at least five (5) years relevant experience.
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering or its equivalent from an accredited institution, City and Guilds, HNC or Higher Technical Diploma with eight (8) years relevant experience.
- Ordinary Technical Diploma (G.T.I) or its equivalent from an accredited institution with at least twelve (12) years relevant experience.
- Alternatively: Fifteen (15) years’ experience in the relevant field
Salary Grade: Commensurate with Qualifications and Experience
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc., 257/259 Middle Street Georgetown or email email@example.com not later than Monday, October 2, 2023.