Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The Guyana Power & Light Inc. invites applicants with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacant position of Program Manager – within the Major Projects Department – Middle Street, Georgetown.
The incumbent will be responsible for managing all Capital Projects, leading staff and managing the assets and activities of the Major Projects Department. Under the direction of the Divisional Director – Engineering Services, the Program Manager will initiate, plan, design, execute, monitor & control and close projects in keeping with the Divisional Business Plan, while complying with ISO 9001 Quality Management System, GPL’s Performance Management System (PMS), and other policies and management systems of the Company.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Continuously monitor and review the achievements/performance of the Major Projects Department against monthly and quarterly goals. Identification of risks and taking appropriate actions to mitigate risks.
- Conduct monthly site visits of projects being executed.
- Supervise the performance of the department staff and take appropriate actions that embrace and enhance the continuous improvement of all staff.
- Regularly report on the performance of the Major Projects Department as it relates to tasks, employees, Performance Management System, and Quality Management System.
- Facilitate the training of the Department’s staff to develop required job skills.
- Ensure subordinates compliance with Company Rules and Regulations and initiate disciplinary actions in keeping with Company’s Rules of Conduct.
- Administer and dispense discipline in keeping with the Disciplinary Policy/Procedure.
- Enforce strict compliance with the requirements of the safety and health regulations and contractual obligations.
- Ensure that the environment and area under control are kept clean and tidy.
- Promptly investigate and make recommendations through written reports with respect to infractions of Safety and Health regulations.
- Conducts continuous assessment and monitoring of staff work performance and development, and takes steps to correct poor work performance.
- Conduct monthly progress meetings.
- Perform other related duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an Authorized Officer.
Salary and Benefits: Commensurate with Senior Management emolument.
Required Competencies and Skills
- Strong ability to act strategically and to develop operational plans and programs to manage and effect change.
- Highly innovative and proficient in methods to improve processes and operational effectiveness.
- Performance-driven and results-oriented.
- Highly safety conscious with a strong ability to establish and entrench a safety culture in all operational activities.
- Strong team leadership, engagement and problem solving skills.
- Excellent Interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Use of Microsoft Projects and Auto CAD
- Knowledge and ability to perform project works
- Knowledge of design techniques and principles
- Be conversant with relevant laws, and regulations of Guyana and GPL policies and rules
- Be conversant with the Safety Act and GPL Safety Handbook
- Conversant with ISO 9001 Quality Management System
- Strong written and verbal communication and organizing skills
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering or Project Management from the University of Guyana or its equivalent from an accredited institution with five (5) years relevant experience which must be at a Managerial level in a Utility company.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering or Project Management from the University of Guyana or its equivalent from an accredited institution with ten (10) years relevant experience which must be at a Managerial level in a Utility company.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Divisional Director Human Resources, Guyana Power & Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street or email firstname.lastname@example.org, Georgetown not later than February Friday July 28, 2023.