Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The opportunity awaits qualified results-oriented professionals who are interested in joining our Team. In this regard, the Guyana Power & Light Inc. invites applicants with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacant position of Plant Operators – which exists within the System Control & Operations Department – # 53 Outpost, BERBICE.
Under the general supervision of the Assistant Shift Control Engineer, the incumbent is responsible for monitoring and recording system conditions and affecting all switching operations.
ESSENTIALS OF THE JOB:
- Comply with all procedures of the Division and the Department
- Communicate the system status to your relief operator.
- Monitor and record System Operations Parameters such as voltage, current frequency etc, and transmit this information upon request to the Assistant Shift Control Engineer.
- Effect all switching operations with the sub-station such as opening and closing of circuit breakers to energise or de-energise feeder, racking of circuit breakers in and out of cubicles as required and earth circuits.
- Effect all switching operations in the 69 KV switch yard such as opening and closing of disconnect and earth switches and changing of 69 KV transformers tap settings.
- Monitor and test the electrolyte level and strength of the batteries in the battery room, topping up with distilled water if necessary.
- Pump water out of the substation basement when it is filled.
- Comply with all Occupational Safety and Health Procedures and Regulations.
- Prepare Performance Plan
- Perform other duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an Authorized Officer.
- Excellent Communication Skills (verbal & Oral)
- Attentive to details
- Basic knowledge of practical engineering science technology.
- Ability to accurately make numerical analysis.
- Thorough knowledge of the operations of Power Generation, Distribution and associated auxiliary equipment
- Knowledge of Power Plant monitoring systems.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Technician Diploma in Electrical Engineering from G.T.I. or its equivalent, with a minimum of two (2) years relevant experience.
- Technician Certificate in Electrical Engineering Part II, from G.T.I. or its equivalent, with a minimum of three (3) years relevant experience.
- Electrical Engineering Technician Craft Certificate from GTI or its equivalent, with at least four (4) years relevant experience.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted through your Departmental Head to reach the Manager Human Resources Services, Guyana Power & Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org not later than November 24, 2023.