Plant Operators – System Control & Operations Department – Sophia, Georgetown and West Demerara
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The opportunity awaits qualified results oriented professionals who are interested in joining our Team.
In this regard, the Guyana Power & Light Inc. invites applicants with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacant position of Plant Operators – which exist within the System Control & Operations Department – Sophia, Georgetown and West Demerara.
Under the general supervision of the Assistant Shift Control Engineer, the incumbent is responsible for monitoring and recording system conditions and effecting all switching operations.
ESSENTIALS OF THE JOB:
- Comply with all procedures of the Division and the Department
- Communicate the system status to your relief operator.
- Monitor and record System Operations Parameters such as voltage, current frequency etc, and transmit this information upon request to the Assistant Shift Control Engineer.
- Effect all switching operations with the sub-station such as opening and closing of circuit breakers to energise or de-energise feeder, racking of circuit breakers in and out of cubicles as required and earth circuits.
- Effect all switching operations in the 69 KV switch yard such as opening and closing of disconnect and earth switches and changing of 69 KV transformers tap settings.
- Monitor and test electrolyte level and strength of the batteries in the battery room, topping up with distil water if necessary.
- Pump water out of the substation basement when it is filled.
- Comply with all Occupational Safety and Health Procedures and Regulations.
- Prepare Performance Plan.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an Authorized Officer.
- Excellent Communication Skills (verbal & Oral)
- Attentive to details
- Basic knowledge of practical engineering science technology.
- Ability to accurately make numerical analysis.
- Thorough knowledge of the operations of Power Generation, Distribution and associated auxiliary equipment
- Knowledge of Power Plant monitoring systems.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Technician Diploma in Electrical Engineering from G.T.I. or its equivalent, with a minimum of two (2) years relevant experience.
- Technician Certificate in Electrical Engineering Part II, from G.T.I. or its equivalent, with a minimum of three (3) years relevant experience.
- Electrical Engineering Technician Craft Certificate from GTI or its equivalent, with at least four (4) years relevant experience.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc., 257/259 Middle Street Georgetown or email firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Friday, April 28, 2023.