Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The opportunity awaits qualified results oriented professionals who are interested in joining our Team.
Guyana Power & Light Inc. invites applications from interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacant position of Network Technicians – within the Transmission & Distribution Department, Kingstown, Georgetown.
Under the general direction of the Senior Technician, the incumbent will be responsible for assisting generally with line construction and maintenance work and to adhere to the Safety Code and Practice of the Corporation.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Under general supervision, assist in all types of work involved in the construction, rearrangement, operation and maintenance of de-energized Transmission and Distribution Network.
- Assist under direct supervision in the location and correction of faults on the secondary circuits.
- Under direct supervision, install testing and recording instruments as well as to interpret and tabulate readings; providing that the operation does not entail working on energized H.V. lines.
- Under direct supervision, install all types of three (3) phase and single (1) phase services on energized lines.
- Perform all duties of the lower grade such as pole planting, pole plumbing, tree trimming etc. As the need arise.
- Drive the Company’s vehicle as required provided being a licensed driver and certified by the fleet maintenance department.
- Take part as an assistant under the direct supervision to provide emergency relief on a called-out basis or during the restoration of the network as necessary.
- Stringing of conductors for the purpose of line construction.
- Demonstrate his/her knowledge of a rescue operator to personnel in danger and render First Aid treatment in cases of emergency.
- Perform duties in the emergency rota when required.
- Comply with the Company’s Safety Rules and Standard Line Practice Codes.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an Authorized Officer.
- Knowledge of electrical meter systems and electrical theory
- Trouble-shooting metering and electrical circuits
- Knowledge of transmission and distribution system
- Knowledge in linesman skills
- Knowledge in Computer systems
Required Qualifications and Experience
Government Technical Institute, Technician Course in Electrical Engineering or its equivalent from a recognized Institution, with at least three (3) years relevant experience.
Apprenticeship Training in the Electrical Discipline or T & D one (1) year technician’s programme
Four (4) subjects C.S.E.C. /C.A.P.E. including Mathematics , English A and Industrial Technology
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc., 257/259 Middle Street Georgetown or email firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Friday, August 18, 2023.