Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The Guyana Power and Light Inc. invites applications from interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacancy of Mechanical Engineer – Projects Management Department – 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown.
Under the general direction of the Projects Management Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for providing technical, project management support to the Project Management Manager in the planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of all new Power Plant Projects.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Overall co-ordination and timely delivery of GPL’s responsibility on all new Power Plant Projects.
- Validating all technical drawings and specifications prepared and submitted by Contractor.
- Assist in the preparation of management plan and the execution of works in keeping with plan.
- Ensure resources assigned to the Project are managed prudently including being accounted for in the approved fashion.
- Advise the Projects Manager on improved techniques, programmes and technical standards pertinent to all electrical works on the Project.
- Liaise with the Project Superintendent on changes being implemented in the scope of works.
- Management of any sub-stores established for the respective project.
- Perform the functions of Owner’s Engineer / Representative on projects, as required.
- Acquire and maintain detailed records of all project activities including material usage, daily/weekly progress updates, and any other pertinent information.
- Ensure requests for variations are evaluated, and justification with recommendations submitted on a timely basis to the Project Management Manager for approval.
- Effective management / oversight of contractors’ activities to ensure progress is in keeping with approved schedules.
- Approving work methods and materials, supplies, equipment, etc delivered by the contractor to ensure compliance with specifications.
- Inspecting and approving works, quantities, or milestones
- Assist with the commissioning of project, coordinate staff training and hand-over to Operations.
- Ensure “As Built” drawings are certified and forwarded to Operations and the System Planning & Design Department.
- Coordinate with local or state officials as required.
- Liaise with the Public Relations Unit on the preparation of press releases, as required.
- Compile weekly / monthly reports in respect of the -project or as directed by the Project Management Manager or any Competent Authority. Ensure all reports are submitted in a timely manner.
- Make presentations to any local Agency / Authority responsible for licenses or permits.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an Authorised Officer.
- Use of Auto CAD
- Organizing and co-ordinating skills
- Ability to analyze, develop, establish and maintain efficient office work flow and administrative process
- Be conversant with relevant law, and regulations of Guyana and GPL policies and rules
- Be conversant with the Safety Act and GPL Safety Handbook
- Conversant with ISO 9001 Quality Management System
- Employee Development and Performance Management Skills
- Project planning and implementation skills
- Ability to communicate effectively
Required Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering with six (6) years relevant experience in the Operations and Maintenance of heavy duty units.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown not later than November 12, 2021.