Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
G.P.L Inc. invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacancy of Mason within the Facilities Department – Sophia.
Under the general supervision of the Foreman Carpenter/Joiner, the incumbent will be responsible for laying of building materials, including concrete and brick constructs. Additionally, the incumbent will perform repairs to surfaces and or structures at any Company location.
- Study blueprints, drawings, plans or sketches to construct, maintain, and repair a variety of masonry structures such as walls, steps, walkways, concrete pads, floors, curbs, exterior and interior surfaces/coatings.
- Shoot grade and lays out the site for pouring of footings and foundations.
- Constructs forms, supports, and bracing systems.
- Mix cement, sand, aggregate, additives, and water to produce concrete, grout, mortar or slurry using hoe, trowel, shovel, or power mixing equipment.
- Spread, levels, and smooth concrete using rake, shovel, hand or power trowel, hand or power screed, and float.
- Mold expansion joints and edges using edging tools, jointers, and straight edge.
- Mix and/or applies surface coatings such as sealer, curing and hardening agents, masonry stains and colorings.
- Lay and binds building materials such as brick, ceramic tile, concrete block, cinder block, glass block, and terra-cotta block with mortar and other substances. Breaks or cuts bricks, blocks, rough and irregular stone to size using trowel edge, hammer, and chisel or power saw.
- Calculate angles and courses and determines vertical and horizontal alignment of courses. Determines and implements the best layout to achieve a desired pattern.
- Repair and finishes mortar joints between stones, bricks, or blocks of masonry wall. Removes mortar to specified depth using rake, hammer and chisel and power saw.
- Clean and prepares surfaces. Mixes plaster and other compounds to desired consistency and applies to walls, ceilings, or partitions of buildings using trowels, brushes, or spray guns. Caulk windows, doors, or cracks in wall with calking gun.
- Analyze material and labours estimates and prepare “Requisition For Purchase” (RFP) forms for material and supplies.
- Ensure that the working environment is clean and safe.
- Coordinate work schedules with other departments and shop in order to complete works efficiently and to keep inconvenience to a minimum.
- Responds to emergency during or after normal working hours to resolve immediate safety concerns.
- Maintain strict compliance with the occupational safety and health and environmental laws of Guyana.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an Authorized Officer.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Three (3) C.S.E.C subjects inclusive of Mathematics, English Language and Technical Drawing (Grade 1-111 passes) plus a Craft Certificate in Masonry from G.T.I with three (3) years’ relevant experience.
Three (3) C.S.EC subjects inclusive of Mathematics, English Language and Technical Drawing (Grade 1-111 passes) plus a Craft Certificate in Bricklaying and Concreting with three (3) years’ relevant experience.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Deputy Human Resources Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown not later than September 15, 2020.