Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The opportunity awaits qualified results oriented professionals who are interested in joining our Team. In this regard, the Guyana Power & Light Inc. invites applicants with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacant position of Maintenance Foreman, which exist within the Inventory Department – Bartica, Essequibo.
Under the general supervision of Technical & Administrative Superintendent – Bartica, the incumbent is responsible for the efficient Mechanical and Electrical Maintenance of the plant and auxiliaries in accordance with the manufacturer specifications.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Issue instructions for, and supervise all types of Mechanical and Electrical Maintenance works associated with the Power Station and Maintenance Work shop such as Stationery Diesel Engine and alternators, Portable Diesel Engine and Auxiliary (Pumps, Compressors, Purifiers, General Mechanical Workshop Practice, Welding, Fabrication etc.).
- Read Blue Prints and Issue instructions to start and shut down operation on all items of plant and equipment in accordance with standing instructions and operational practices.
- Ensure all staff observe standing safety codes of conduct and make regular and thorough checks on the performance and conditions of all items of running plant and equipment entrusted in the care of maintenance personnel in order to ensure that the best operating conditions are maintained.
- Ensure corrective action is taken on maintenance work of plant and equipment as is necessary and report accurately to the Operation and Maintenance Superintendent any defects experienced while on duty and outside the scope of your ability to correct.
- Run regular and thorough checks on readings logged and examine any abnormalities and take corrective action where necessary also carry out periodical peak pressure test and crank shaft deflections.
- Issue standing work permit and fault cards before any type of Maintenance work is done to plant and equipment; and after inspection, ensure same is properly isolated and safe to proceed.
- Supervise the top and major overhaul according to the OEM specifications.
- Supervise all daily, weekly, Monthly routine maintenance activities are carried out as per schedule.
- Examine along with Technical and Administrative Superintendent or Diesel Generation Engineer all plant or equipment after release from maintenance to see that satisfactory conditions exist for safe operations.
- Exercise effective discipline over direct reports in keeping with the Company’s Rules and Regulations.
- Assist in setting performance targets, evaluating performances and identifying training needs of direct reports.
- Enforce strict compliance with the requirements of the safety and health legislation, regulations and contractual obligations.
- Ensure that the environment and area under control is kept clean and tidy.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an Authorized Officer.
- Must have the ability to perform maintenance on (Coolant, Oil, fuel) generation system.
- Requires basic understanding of power generation, electrical power distribution, operational, safety and generator component engine maintenance programs.
- Knowledge of basic Electrical principles.
- Excellent and thorough workshop knowledge of diesel engines.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical layout drawings and electrical diagrams.
- Excellent troubleshooting experience
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering from the University of Guyana, with five (5) years relevant experience.
- Technician’s Diploma in Mechanical Engineering from GTI/ETI/NATI plus five (5) subjects CSEC/GCE ‘O’ Level including English Language and Mathematics (Grades I-III), with ten (10) years relevant experience.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc., 257/259 Middle Street Georgetown or email firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Friday, September 22, 2023.