Labour & Employee Relations Officer – Human Resources Services Department – Middle Street
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The Guyana Power & Light Inc. invites applications from interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacant position of Labour & Employee Relations Officer – Human Resources Services Department – Middle Street.
Under the general direction of the Human Resources Services Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for investigating and resolving employee issues and complaints.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Participate in addressing grievances and work to resolve complex employee relations/ labour relations issues
- Counsel and resolve employee issues including manager/employee situations, employee engagement and employment procedures and policies.
- Conduct investigations, prepare investigative reports and resolve disputes including interviewing complainants and witnesses.
- Mediate discussions between employer and employee representatives in an attempt to reconcile differences.
- Advises on the interpretation of Industrial agreements reached between the company and participating unions as well as employment agreement and monitor their effective implementations.
- Monitor Company’s adherence to labour laws and regulations
- Train Managers & Supervisors on topics related to the handling of grievances, fostering good labour relations, working conditions and disciplinary policy and procedures.
- Represent the Company in labour disputes, conciliations and arbitrations.
- Facilitates information gathering where necessary for wages and salaries negotiations with unions.
- Research case law or outcome of previous hearings.
- Prepare proposals for collective bargaining and other negotiations.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal labour requirements related to day to day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Prepares monthly Employee Relations Reports
- Assess Union’s proposal on salary, benefits and working conditions.
- Assist in the preparation of reports, correspondence on various Human Resources issues.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an authorized officer.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw conclusions
- Excellent interpersonal, dilemmatic and negotiation skills
- A detail understanding of labour and employment legislation
- Strong analytical skills
- In depth knowledge of the best practices in HR policies, process and strategies
- Ability to excise judgement in matter of sensitive nature
- Practice and Knowledge of the labour laws of Guyana
Applicant with a Legal/ Labour Relations background will be considered an asset.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Human Resources/ Law/ Business Management from an accredited tertiary institution with three (3) years Human Resources experience.
- Diploma in Human Resources/ Business Management from an accredited tertiary institution with seven (7) years Human Resources / Labour Relations
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with qualification & experience.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown or email firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Monday, December 19, 2022.