Head – Technical Specifications, Standards & Engineering Unit – Engineering, Designs & Standards Department – Middle Street
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The opportunity awaits qualified results oriented professionals who are interested in joining our team within the Engineering, Designs & Standards Department – Middle Street, Georgetown. Interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience are invited to apply for the vacant position of Head – Technical Specifications, Standards & Engineering Unit.
Under the general direction of the Engineering, Designs & Standards Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for performing general administrative, managerial and technical functions associated with the position of Head – Technical Specification, Standards & Engineering Unit while complying with ISO 9001 Quality Management System, GPL’s Performance Management System (PMS) and the other policies and management systems of the Company.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Review and recommend the application of appropriate utility, industry and general technical standards to support GPL’s corporate aim of SUCCESS, LCDS-2030 and other National Energy Priorities.
- Develop and maintain relevant Technical Standards and Specification to support GPL’s corporate aim of SUCCESS, LCDS-2030 and other National Energy Priorities.
- Develop and maintain relevant GPI, Technical Standards and Specification database in digital format.
- Perform requisite simulations using the appropriate simulation tools to confirm specification limits that are contextual to GPL.
- Ensure GPL’s membership with International Standard Institutes, such as, ANSI, IEEE, IEC, UL, ASME, API, Aws, ASTM, NEMA, ASCI ASCE, Alsc, AASHTO and all other relevant Institutes remain updated.
- Liaise with the Quality, Health Safety, Environment Management & Operation’s Support Division relative to ISO Standards, National Fire Protection Association Standards, which includes National Electric Safety Code and National Electric Code.
- Provide administrative and technical guidance to complete reviews ofthe relevant sections detailing technical specification of Tender Documents/RFPs and Project Contracts, inclusive of engineering drawings.
- Assist with providing technical guidance/inputs, as required, to complete technical evaluation of bids.
- Provide administrative and technical guidance to complete Facility Studies in accordance with the National Grid Code.
- Prepare Relevant Technical Review Reports.
- Lead/Participate in Site Visits.
- Assisting the Manager with day-to-day administrative activities related to the Department.
- Assisting with the preparation of annual operational and capital budgets and monitoring of expenditure to ensure conformity with budget guidelines.
- Promptly investigating and taking appropriate action with respect to infractions of Company policy.
- Developing Individual Performance Plans, and Learning & Development Plans
- Orient, mentor, coach, and train direct reports in an effort to aid the development of the requisite job skills.
- Ensure Direct Reports’ compliance with Company Rules and Regulations and initiate disciplinary actions in keeping with Company’s Rules of Conduct.
- Enforce strict compliance with the requirements of the safety and health legislation, regulations, and contractual obligations.
- Perform other duties that are pertinent to the objectives of the Department’s Action Plan, and by extension, the Divisional Business Plan, to support the Company’s Corporate Strategic Plan, as assigned by the Manager, or the Divisional Director — Engineering Services.
Use of Microsoft Suite
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Conflict resolution skills
Flexible and possess the ability to perform effectively under pressure
- Familiarity with electric distribution systems
- Familiarity with electric transmission systems
- Familiarity with electric generation systems- Renewable and conventional
Familiarity with electric substation systems
Be conversant with Safety Act and GPI. Safety Handbook
- Be conversant with International Standards such as IEEE, ANSI, ESRA, Safety Codes, GPL Grid Code.
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
Ability to analyse engineering drawing, designs and using the associated software. Knowledge of circuit analysis through the use of the appropriate software- PSS Sinical, PSSE & Etap.
Conversant with ISO Quality Management System
- Conversant with GPL Performance Management System (PMS)
- Be conversant with FACTORIES ACT CHAPTER 95:02, OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ACT CHAPTER NO 32 OF 1997, ELECTRICITY SECTOR REFORM ACT CHAPTER 57:01 OF 1999, ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT NO 11 OF 1996 ofthe laws of Guyana, and the Guyana Power & Light License which include the STANDARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR ELECTRIC SERVICES of October 2010.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical/Mechanical/Civil Engineering from an accredited institution with at least five (5) years of utility experience relative to the key areas of responsibility.
Salary Grade: Commensurate with Junior Management ‘A’ emoluments.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc., 257/259 Middle Street Georgetown or email firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Friday, July 7, 2023.