Head – Design Unit – Engineering, Designs & Standards Department – Middle Street
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The opportunity awaits qualified results oriented professionals who are interested in joining our team within the Engineering, Designs & Standards Department – Middle Street, Georgetown. Interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience are invited to apply for the vacant position of Head – Design Unit.
Under the general direction of the Engineering, Designs & Standards Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for producing implementable Designs, Estimates and Bills of Quantities for all expansion and other forms of modifications to the Transmission & Distribution System, preparing and maintaining GIS data sets and CAD records.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Coordinate site/field visits relative to Capital Works for a service application, investigation into a supply-service query, updating GPL’s GIS Database, Electrification of Unserved Areas, New Housing Schemes, System Improvements, and Infrastructural Development Projects to support GPL’s corporate aim of SUCCESS, LCDS-2030 and other National Energy Priorities.
- Ensure all Electrical Designs follow the requirements of the applicable sections of the National Electrical and Safety Code, National Electrical Code and National Grid Code, including IEEE Standards relevant to grid connected Distributed Energy Resources.
- Review and finalize electrical designs, bills of quantities, estimates relative to required adjustments/modifications and/or extension of Transmission and Distribution lines and Substations.
- Prepare Authorization of works relative to the adjustments/modifications and/or extension of Transmission and Distribution lines.
- Perform load analysis to determine the required transfonner capacity and conductor type to satisfy a customer’s demand.
- Perform Power Quality Assessment.
- Ensure proposed distribution network adjustments/modifications do not adversely affect feeder load balancing and power factor.
- Assist the Manager to liaise with the Guyana Lands & Survey Commission, Central Housing and Planning Authority, NICIL and the relevant GPL Departments relative to joint site/field visits/inspections.
- Prepare Site/Field Visit and Load Analysis Reports.
- Administer efficiently the operation of the GIS/CAD unit by ensuring the team maintains GPL’s GIS database ofT&D Asset Inventory up to date and relevant to effectively support the Engineering Design Team and Stakeholders that are internal and external to GPL.
- Assisting the Manager with day-to-day administrative activities related to the Department.
- Assisting with the preparation of annual operational and capital budgets and monitoring of expenditure to ensure conformity with budget guidelines.
- Promptly investigating and taking appropriate action with respect to infractions of Company policy.
- Developing Individual Performance Plans, and Learning & Development Plans
- Orient, mentor, coach, and train direct reports in an effort to aid the development of the requisite job skills.
- Ensure Direct Reports’ compliance with Company Rules and Regulations and initiate disciplinary actions in keeping with Company’s Rules of Conduct.
- Enforce strict compliance with the requirements of the safety and health legislation, regulations, and contractual obligations.
- Perform other duties that are pertinent to the objectives of the Department’s Action Plan, and by extension, the Divisional Business Plan, to support the Company’s Corporate Strategic Plan, as assigned by the Manager, or the Divisional Director — Engineering Services.
Use of Microsoft Suite
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Conflict resolution skills
Flexible and possess the ability to perform effectively under pressure
- Familiarity with electric distribution systems
Familiarity with electric transmission systems
- Familiarity with electric generation systems- Renewable and conventional
Familiarity with electric substation systems
Be conversant with Safety Act and GPL Safety Handbook
- Be conversant with International Standards such as IEEE, ANSI, ESRA, NESC, NEC National Grid Code.
Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Ability to analyse engineering drawing, designs and using the associated software.
- Knowledge of circuit analysis through the use of the appropriate software- PSS Sinical, PSSE & Etap.
- Conversant with ISO Quality Management System
Conversant with GPL Performance Management System (PMS)
- Be conversant with the FACTORIES ACT CHAPTER 95:02, OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ACT CHAPTER NO 32 OF 1997, ELECTRICITY SECTOR REFORM ACT CHAPTER 57:01 OF 1999, ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT NO 11 OF 1996 of the laws of Guyana, and the Guyana Power & Light License which include the STANDARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR ELECTRIC SERVICES of October 2010.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Applications should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc., 257/259 Middle Street Georgetown or email firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Friday, July 7, 2023.