GIS Technician – Information Technology Division
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The GIS Technician will be responsible for updating and maintaining GIS datasets, making maps, managing and operating applications such as ODK for fast data capture, publishing maps to online map servers, and performing data analysis.
The Geographic Information System (GIS) at the Guyana Power & Light Inc. (GPL) manages data that spans 250km of the coast of Guyana in Regions 2-6, for the purpose of asset management, network planning and other needs of an electric utility. Work on the GIS includes data management, map production and data analysis to serve electrical engineering, customer services and other parts of the Company. Data collection is done digitally with smartphones which deliver speed and accuracy. Desktop GIS work is done in QGIS and other software. CartoDB is used to distribute maps and statistics online. Spatial data are fed into other GPL systems including the Customer Information System (CIS), system planning master database, electrical engineering modelling software (ETAP/ PSS SINCAL) and the Business Intelligence System (BIS).
The IT Division greatly values innovation and communication. Collaboration tools include Teams, Slack and Trello, and thoughtful improvement in company operations using proprietary as well as open-source solutions is encouraged. The Division pursues ITIL best practices for IT Service Management, and efficient and financially responsible use of IT resources, and CIS Controls for cybersecurity.
- Spatial data management
- Liaising with data collectors (staff, contractors and sector partners)
- Map production
- Spatial and other data analysis
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- To capture or facilitate the capture, as appropriate, of georeferenced data in different formats using smartphones, GPS receivers, drones, remote sensing imagery, and other means;
- To perform GIS data quality control, including reviewing data for completeness and accuracy; identifying and correcting errors or omissions in the data;
- To update GIS datasets, supply other databases, and make backups of the company’s spatial data;
- To liaise with data collectors to ensure good outcomes for data collection in the Company;
- To liaise with other staff in the IT Division, including analysts and programmers to create useful information products.
- To create map layouts and views, and generate basic data analysis and reports
- Support the implementation of ITIL best practices for IT Service Management, and CIS Controls for cybersecurity.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities consistent with the level and purpose of the post.
Required Qualifications and Experience
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- University Diploma in GIS, Information Technology, Geography or closely related field with one (1) year work experience in GIS
- Post-Secondary Technical Certificate from a recognised Technical Institute, in GIS, Information Technology, Geography or closely related field with three (3) years work experience in GIS
How to Apply
Applications along with Curriculum Vitae should be addressed and submitted to the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown not later than December 24, 2021.