Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Officer – Information Technology Division – Sophia
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The opportunity awaits qualified results oriented professionals who are interested in joining our team within the Information Technology Division- Sophia. Interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience are invited to apply for the impending vacant position of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Officer.
Under the general direction of the Divisional Director- Information Technology, the incumbent will be responsible for coordinating and executing the GIS effort to meet spatial and other information needs in the Company. The GIS Officer will assist or lead the implementation of technology including desktop GIS, GIS databases such as PostGIS, cloud services such as Carto, drones, remotely sensed imagery and other sensors. The Officer will be assisted by GIS Technicians for updating and maintaining GIS datasets, making of maps, managing and operating applications such as ODK for fast data capture, publishing maps to online map servers, and performing analysis on GIS data.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Plan and coordinate GIS data management and develop a service (products and processes) that deliver useful information to Divisions/ Departments of the company
- Implement and manage good systems for storage, use, safety (data integrity) and security (data protection) of GIS data
- Track and proactively report on progress towards corporate outcomes identified with manager and executive
- Capture or facilitate the capture, as appropriate, of GIS data in different formats using smartphones, GPS receivers, drones, and other means
- Perform or facilitate GIS data quality control, including reviewing data for completeness and accuracy, identifying and correcting errors or omissions in the data
- Update or facilitate the update of GIS datasets, supply other databases, and backup of the company’s spatial data
- Liaise with data collectors (staff, contractors and sector partners) to have good outcomes for data collection in the Company
- Liaise/work in concert with other staff in the IT Division to create and deliver useful information products to the Company.
- Liaise with other Company departments to understand information needs and how to meet these. Meeting information needs of the Company will include determining data to be captured, identifying personnel, processes and suitable technology to be involved, training personnel where needed, and crafting the output information products.
- Create map layouts and views, do data analysis and create reports.
- Mentor staff towards improved GIS skills
- Research and recommend innovative, cost-effective, and where possible automated approaches for GIS data capture, analysis and visualisation.
- Promote GIS technology and conduct growth strategies for GIS at GPL and in Guyana
- Implement or assist with the implementation of ITIL best practices for IT Service Management, and CIS Controls for cybersecurity.
- Perform any other related duties that may be assigned by the Head of Department or divisional executive.
|· Knowledge of GIS software to manage spatial data and produce maps and charts|
|· Knowledge of database and spreadsheet software|
|· Knowledge of Global Positioning Systems (GPS)|
|· Ability to capture, convert, manipulate, analyze and interpret spatial and other data|
|· Demonstrate analytical and problem solving skills|
Required Qualifications and Experience
University BSc. Degree in GIS, Information Technology, Geography or closely related field with a minimum of two (2) years’ work experience in GIS with demonstrable products/ outcomes.
Post-Secondary Technical Certificate from a recognized Technical Institute in GIS, Information Technology, Geography or closely related field with five (5) years’ work experience in GIS with demonstrable products/ outcomes.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc., 257/259 Middle Street Georgetown or email firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Friday, April 21, 2023.