Geographic Information System (GIS) Technician – Information Technology (IT) Division – Sophia
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The opportunity awaits qualified results oriented professionals who are interested in joining our Team. In this regard, the Guyana Power & Light Inc. invites applicants with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacant position of Geographic Information System (GIS) Technician – Information Technology (IT) Division – Sophia, Georgetown.
Under the general direction of the Geographic Information System (GIS) Officer, will be responsible for updating and maintaining GIS datasets, making maps, managing and operating applications such as Open Data Kit for fast data capture, publishing maps to online map servers, and performing data analysis.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Capture or facilitate, as appropriate, of georeferenced data in different formats using smartphones, Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers, drones, remote sensing imagery, among others.
- Perform GIS data quality control, including reviewing data for completeness and accuracy; identifying and correcting errors or omissions in the data.
- Update GIS datasets, supply other databases, and make backups of the company’s spatial data.
- Liaise with data collectors to ensure good outcomes for data collection in the Company.
- Liaise with other staff in the Information Technology Division, including analysts and programmers to create useful information products.
- Create map layouts and views, and generate basic data analysis and reports.
- Support the implementation of Information Technology Infrastructure Library best practices for Information Technology Service Management, and Customer Information System Controls for cybersecurity.
- To deliver swift, secure, reliable and resilient business services to the Information Technology Division’s customers, i.e. GPL staff and other defined users.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an Authorized Officer.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Applications
- Ability to work independently
- Knowledge of GIS software to manage spatial data and produce maps, charts
- Knowledge of database and spreadsheet software
- Knowledge of Global Positioning Systems (GPS)
- Ability to capture, convert, manipulate, analyze and interpret spatial and other data
- Demonstrate analytical and problem solving skills
- Analytical Skills
Required Qualifications and Experience
University Diploma in Geographic Information System (GIS), Information Technology, Geography or its equivalent from an accredited institution with one (1) year relevant experience in GIS.
Post-Secondary Technical Certificate from a recognized Technical Institute, in GIS, Information Technology, Geography or its equivalent from an accredited institution with three (3) years’ relevant experience in GIS.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc., 257/259 Middle Street Georgetown or email email@example.com not later than Thursday, December 29, 2022.