Energy Management Systems Engineer
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The Guyana Power & Light Inc. invites applications from interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacant position of Energy Management Systems Engineer – within the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition Unit (SCADA), System Control & Engineering Services Department – SOPHIA.
The incumbent will support Guyana Power & Light Inc. Operations Division by generating SCADA reports and conducting operational functions such as: approve outages, schedule generation on merit order, report transmission limits and limit violations and utilize Energy Management System including Automatic Generation Control, load flow and contingency studies.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Assistance to the Divisional Director and Department Managers in preparation of Annual Divisional Business Plan
- Ensure that the training simulator is operational and tuned.
- Assist with the development of training cases on the training simulator for operators and engineer training.
- Assistance in establishment of divisional target on key performance indicators for monthly, quarterly, annual and multi-year as well as analysis of their current status and assist in developing budgets.
- Analysis of daily operation results and preparation of reports on energy generation, load demand and interruptions to customers.
- Calculation and analysis of monthly, quarterly, annual and multi-year key performance indicators for each generator, transmission line and distribution feeder.
- Oversee the design and development of suitable databases, data collection system, data analytics and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality.
- Summary and preparation of learning, development and performance evaluation plans for Department Managers.
- Ensure individual learning, development and performance plans in consistent with the Divisional Business Plan.
- Ensure the power system application software such as state estimator, load flow and contingency analysis is operational and tuned.
- Engineering of system engineering-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Prepare drawings and sketches of field surveys and other relevant materials when necessary.
- Rectify all problems/faults in extreme circumstances pertaining to emergencies.
- Accountable for materials, equipment, vehicles, tools and property of your location.
- Drive the Company’s vehicle as required provided being a licensed driver and certified by the fleet maintenance department.
- Assess and train personnel under his/her control.
- Perform any other related duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your duty by a duly Authorized Officer.
REWARD: Commensurate with qualification & experience.
- Good knowledge on power system operation, including generation, transmission and distribution
- Ability to produce high-quality reports and studies with attention to detail
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft office suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access as well as other data management and analysis software and tools
- Experience in compiling and analyzing data collected from various sources
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in a team environment
- Excellent skills in technical report writing and presentation
- Familiar with GPL Corporate Strategic Plan and Operations Divisional Business Plan
- Familiar with operation report procedures of generation, transmission and distribution
- Good knowledge in calculation of divisional key performance indicators
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Demonstrated positive learning attitude
- Be conversant with relevant law, and regulations of Guyana and GPL policies and rules
- Demonstrated commitment to environment, health and safety
- Conversant with GPL Performance Management System (PMS)
Required Qualifications and Experience
Bachelors of Science or Engineering Degree in Power or Electrical Engineering, or its equivalent from an accredited institution with five (5) years’ experience. Engineering experience is an asset.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown not later than Friday, March 04, 2022.