Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The opportunity awaits qualified results oriented professionals who are interested in joining our team within the Engineering Designs & Standards Department. Interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience are invited to apply for the vacant position of Electrical Engineer- Generation, Substation & Transmission & Distribution – Middle Street, Georgetown.
Under the general direction of the Head– Technical Specification, Standards & Engineering Unit, the incumbent will be responsible Performing technical functions associated with the position of Electrical Engineer – Generation, Substation & T&D, while complying with ISO 9001 Quality Management System, GPL’s Performance Management System (PMS), and the other policies and management systems of the Company.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Maintain a structured, functional and readily assessable Database of all National, International, and GPL In-house Standards.
- Assist with the acquisition of relevant Utility and Industry Standards through RFPs, Subscription and membership to IEEE, NEC, NESC, ANSI, IEC, UL, ASTM and NEMA.
- Preparation, Review / Updating of new or existing GPL In-house standards.
- Assist with the acquisition of relevant Non-Technical Standards such as ISO and National Fire Protection Association Standards.
- Prepare relevant simulations to aid in Specification Reviews where applicable.
- Prepare and Review of Technical Specifications in the format of Technical Specification Documents, Equipment Name Plate Rating, Equipment Rating Calculations and Technical Drawing/Schematic.
- Prepare relevant simulations to aid in Specifications Preparation or Reviews.
- Perform or assist with Engineering Reviews / Preparation for Tender Documents, Project Contracts, Engineering Designs / drawings and Bid Evaluations.
- Assist with Engineering Designs for Tender Documents Preparation of Projects within the GPL Development and Expansion Plan for all Power Plants, Interconnection of Power Plants and, Substations.
- Assist with Right of Ways Investigation of New Transmission (or Feeder ) Projects for Tender Documents Preparation or Preparation of RFPs for Consultancy of new line designs.
- Organized and Execute site visits in keeping with the D&E Plans and any other GPL related Site visits as required by the Manager or Unit Head.
- Assisting Head of Unit with day-to-day administrative activities.
- Orient, mentor, coach, and train Direct Reports in an effort to aid the development of the requisite job skills.
- Ensure Direct Reports are compliant with Company Rules and Regulations and initiate disciplinary actions in keeping with Company’s Rules of Conduct.
- Enforce strict compliance with the requirements of the safety and health legislation, regulations, and contractual obligations.
- Perform other duties that are pertinent to the objectives of the Department’s Action Plan, and by extension, the Divisional Business Plan, to support the Company’s Corporate Strategic Plan, as assigned by or through the Head of Unit, Manager, or the Divisional Director – Engineering Services
|§ Problem solving and analytical skills
|§ Conflict resolution skills
|§ Flexible and possess the ability to perform effectively under pressure
|§ Familiarity with electric Distribution & Transmission systems
|§ Familiarity with electric generation systems- Renewable and conventional
|§ Familiarity with electric substation systems
|§ Be conversant with Safety Act and GPL Safety Handbook
|§ Be conversant with International Standards such as IEEE, ANSI, ESRA, Safety Codes, GPL Grid Code.
|§ Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
|§ Ability to analyse engineering drawing, designs and using the associated software.
|§ Knowledge of circuit analysis through the use of the appropriate software- AutoCAD and georeferenced tools.
|§ Conversant with ISO Quality Management System
|§ Conversant with GPL Performance Management System (PMS)
|§ Be conversant with the FACTORIES ACT CHAPTER 95:02, OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ACT CHAPTER N0 32 OF 1997, ELECTRICITY SECTOR REFORM ACT CHAPTER 57:01 OF 1999, ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT NO 11 0F 1996 of the laws of Guyana, and the Guyana Power & Light License which include the STANDARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR ELECTRIC SERVICES of October 2010.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from an Accredited Institution with at least one (1) year of utility experience relative to the Key Responsible Areas.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Guyana or an Accredited Institution with at least three (3) years of utility experience relative to the Key Responsible Areas.
Salary Grade: Commensurate with Qualifications & Experience
How to Apply
Applications along with Curriculum Vitae should be submitted to the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street Georgetown or via email to email@example.com, not later than January 19, 2024.