Economist/ Economic Analyst – System Planning & Research Department – Middle Street
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The Guyana Power & Light Inc. invites applications from interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacant position of Economist/ Economic Analyst – System Planning & Research Department – Middle Street.
Under the general direction of the Lead Economist -Head of Demand Forecasting Unit, the incumbent will be responsible for developing robust and up-to-date forecasts of electricity sales and the power systems maximum demand, as well as contributing to the processes of identifying the expected detailed requirements on the various component of the Company’s Network.
KEY RESPONSIBILTIY AREAS
- Assist in the research, collection, and analyses of economic, finance, and energy & power related data that supports several econometric frameworks imperative to the Demand Forecasting Team.
- Present findings and outcomes in reports, tables, and charts.
- Assist in the on-going improvements, updates and documentation of the various forecasting models and frameworks.
- Process, analyze and report data on annual electricity demand forecasting for the short, medium and long-term periods, including the provision of forecasts of electricity sales, maximum system demand, maximum demands on individual substations, system losses, generation requirements and expected purchases from IPPs.
- Monitor and document actual historical sales and other outturn performance against forecasts, identify variances and provide justifications.
- Prepare monthly Departmental Progress & Status Reports.
- Assist in the preparation of economic and finance proposals.
- Assist in the contribution to updating GPL’s Development & Expansion Programme and Reports, in provision of demand-forecasting outputs and analyses, as well as other planning activities, inclusive of financial planning.
- Interface with Government Agencies, Private Sector, and International Funding, Energy and Economic Agencies, to identify and acquire information pertinent to construct and operate the forecasting models.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an authorized officer.
- Use of Microsoft Suite
- Use of Statistics/Econometrics Software
- Good analytical and writing skills
- Logical conflict resolution skills
- Admirable team-player attributes
- Flexible and possess the ability to perform effectively under pressure
- Be conversant with relevant law and regulations of Guyana and GPL Policies & Rules
- Be conversant with Safety Act and GPL Safety Handbook
- Conversant with ISO Quality Management System
- Conversant with GPL Performance Management System (PMS)
- Be conversant with the FACTORIES ACT CHAPTER 95:02, OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ACT CHAPTER N0 32 OF 1997, ELECTRICITY SECTOR REFORM ACT CHAPTER 57:01 OF 1999, ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT NO 11 0F 1996 of the laws of Guyana, and the Guyana Power & Light License which include the STANDARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR ELECTRIC SERVICES of October 2010.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Master’s Degree in Economics or related field, from an accredited academic institution, with four (4) years of professional work experience; and skills in economic statistics and or regression analyses would be an asset.
Bachelor’s Degree in Economics/Statistics or related field, from an accredited academic institution, with six (6) years of professional work experience.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with qualification & experience.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power &Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown or email email@example.com not later than Friday, December 30, 2022.