Diesel Generation Engineer
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
G.P.L Inc. invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the impending vacancy of Diesel Generation Engineer within the Diesel Generation Department –Area Essequibo.
Under the general direction of the Regional Manager – Essequibo, the incumbent will be responsible for the administration of the Power Stations within the Essequibo area on a day to day basis and keeping the machines and related auxiliaries of the Power Stations functioning, also responsible for the maintenance, operational, clerical and administrative personnel of the stations.
- Responsible for efficient operation of all Diesel Generating Stations in the Essequibo Region ie. Anna Regina, Leguan, Bartica and Wakenaam, as well as auxiliary equipment and facilities within the budgetary guideline.
- Coordinate the activities of the operation, maintenance and clerical staff to ensure the optimum achievement of the plant production target.
- To ensure all subordinate staff execute their duty in keeping with the organizational reporting procedures and that of the Union/Management.
- Manage the execution of all planned maintenance and services according to a planned maintenance programme, which can sustain the maximum continuous rating of each generating unit and its auxiliaries.
- Compile and submit on a timely basis the Plant’s Monthly production and other associated reports to the office of the Regional Manager.
- Regularly, evaluating the operation and maintenance procedures with the application of new technology to reduce down time of equipment and secure the plant operation capabilities.
- Be knowledgeable of Industrial Safety Regulations and the Union-Management agreement.
- Assist with on-the-job training of subordinate personnel at all levels. Keep up to date with technical job knowledge. In this regard maximum use must be made of plant standby periods.
- Monitor and review Preventative Maintenance System and Records to ensure that the technical and Economic benefits are attainted.
- In conjunction with Stores Personnel, determining spares needed and other consumables in a timely manner
- Responsible for the assessment of staff and the upgrading of skills.
- Analyse all reports within the respective stations
- Prepare and submit daily outage reports for all stations within the Essequibo area to the relevant officers (D. C.E.O and others).
- In conjunction with senior personnel form the respective stations, prepare the operating budget for each station.
- Foster harmonious relations among colleagues and subordinates alike.
- Assist with the preparation of monthly Departmental Reports.
- Responsible for the safety, cleanliness and maintenance and up keeping of facilities within the stations and surrounding areas
- Keeps the Regional Manager, fully informed on all matters affecting the smooth and efficient operations of the stations.
- Orient, mentor and coach subordinate staff in an effort to aid their development of the requisite job skills.
- Perform any other relevant duties that may be assigned by a duly authorised Officer.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering with six (6) years relevant experience in the Operations and Maintenance of Diesel Power Plants.
Diploma in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering from the University of Guyana, City & Guilds, H.N.C. or T.D or O.T.D. with ten (10) years relevant experience.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted through Departmental Heads to reach the Deputy Human Resources Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown not later than June 07, 2019.