Computer Technician – Information Technology Division – Sophia
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The Guyana Power & Light Inc. invites applications from interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacant position of Computer Technician within Information Technology Division – Sophia.
Under the direction of the Senior Computer Technician, the successful candidate will be responsible for the maintenance and improving customer-related equipment, and assisting IT Division’s customers, that is, Guyana Power & Light Inc. (GPL) staff and other defined users experiencing IT difficulties – to engender secure, reliable and resilient business services.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Deliver, monitor and adapt customer support in a strategic manner to deliver the user experience desired by the business units.
- Configure using documented standards, monitor, analyse, troubleshoot, administer, maintain and secure the customer-related systems, and prepare for disaster response.
- Maintain/ update standard specifications for computers/ printers/ parts/ accessories.
- Advise to achieve sufficient inventory of computers/ printers/ parts/ accessories.
- Ensure that documentation pertinent to customer-related systems and actions taken is kept updated.
- Provide a well-run Support Desk to business units for customer-related issues.
- Ensure that 3-2-1 backups are documented.
- Utilize LDAP and other modern security approaches for administration of customer systems (e.g. desktop and laptop computers).
- Utilize various means of monitoring customer systems e.g. PRTG, Wazuh SIEM, SysAid, etc..
- Ensure least-privilege access management for staff and contractors, with prompt access-removal and reporting following movement of staff, resignation of staff, conclusion of contract, etc.
- Monitor and report on usage of customer systems and resource-usage of systems to inform planning and procurement.
- Implement a high level of customer service to GPL and other defined users, aided by thorough asset management.
- Use a system of promptly communicating with customers, via fall-back/ redundant channels, to provide prior warnings, current advisories and situation updates when warranted by changes in the status or performance of the computing infrastructure.
- Implement or assist with the implementation of ITIL best practices for IT Service Management, and CIS Controls and Benchmarks for cybersecurity.
- Research and recommend innovative, cost-effective, and where possible automated approaches for administering customer systems and delivering services.
- Undertake and support change management initiatives to effect a view of staff/ other departments as customers, with departmental work viewed as customer service
- Perform other duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an authorized officer.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
|· Knowledge of computer network troubleshooting and problem analysis and resolution skills|
|· Knowledge of DHCP, DNS and other protocol and standards|
|· Understanding of IT Security|
|· Familiarity with LAN, WAN and Net Devices|
|· Written and Verbal Communication|
Required Qualifications and Experience
CompTIA A+ OR GTI Ordinary Diploma in Computer Science OR UG Diploma in Information Technology or equivalent, and one years’ experience in IT Support.
A Degree in Computer Science or a related discipline would be an asset. Certification/ demonstrable portfolio of experience in related information technology/ computer science areas e.g. Server administration, Network administration, Linux Administration, Cloud or Cybersecurity, would be an asset.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc., 257/259 Middle Street Georgetown or email email@example.com not later than Wednesday, June 29, 2022.