Chief Executive Officer
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The Guyana Power and Light Inc. (GPL) invites suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the position of Chief Executive Officer. GPL is a vertically integrated electric utility Company which principal activities are to generate, transmit, distribute and sell electricity within its authorized geographical area. The Company is the principal public supplier in Guyana, and is currently solely owned by the Government of Guyana. The
primary objectives of GPL include providing to its customers a safe and reliable supply of electricity at a sustainable price and expanding its service to new customers located within its grid area.
The Chief Executive Officer will direct, administer and coordinate the internal operational activities of the Company in accordance with policies, goals and objectives established by the Board of Directors.
The Chief Executive Officer will be responsible for:
- Strategic leadership and Management. S/he is expected to effect change management within the Company and to lead, coach and empower an executive team and staff. The successful candidate will lead and direct the activities of the Divisions of the Company, which includes: Operations, Customer Services, Human Resources, Information Technology, Loss Reduction, Finance and Projects.
- Promoting positive relations with internal and external stakeholders, including the Shareholder (the Government of Guyana), Customers, Regulators, the Private Sector and the general public.
- Providing leadership in health, safety and environment and be responsible for ensuring the safety of GPL’s Staff, and be compliant with all relevant laws, regulations and best practices.
Required Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate is required to have a professional degree in electrical or mechanical engineering from a recognized University with 15 years of experience at an executive management level in a large electric utility business or other industrial business.
S/he is expected to effectively communicate highly technical information to various stakeholders.
S/he must be able to work and effectively connect with persons within and external to the Company and to be proactive, professional, possess a high level of integrity and have strong capabilities in management, strategic and transformational leadership.
Provide overall leadership and management of the business of GPL to enable the organisation to implement its plans and achieve its goals and objectives in an efficient, effective and economical manner
Specifically, the CEO will direct, manage and monitor the performance of the specific portfolio of this position by:
- Providing leadership and direction in the management of GPL
- Defining the strategic direction and performance goals of GPL and documenting these Strategies
- Developing, Preparing and Executing a 5-year Development & Expansion (D&E) Programme and updating same on an annual basis
- Setting the tone at the top through active commitment to GPL’s strategic direction
- Monitoring and evaluating implementation of the strategic direction
- Setting performance parameters aligned to national and Ministry measures
- Mobilising all required resources to ensure key performance measures are achieved in line with the service performance targets benchmarks
- Serving as Chairman of the Executive Management Team
- Ensuring adequate maintenance plans are developed and executed for the Company’s generation, network and other assets
- Implementing a coordinated plan to achieve loss reduction targets set in the Development & Expansion (D&E) Programme
Board of Directors
- Deputy Chief Executive Officer- Administration
- Deputy Chief Executive Officer- Strategic Operations
- Executive Team
- Managing multiple projects at the same time
- Managing complex assignments
- Demanding timelines
- Conflict management
- Managing stakeholder expectations
- Periodic travel to various locations, regionally and internationally
- Chairman and Directors
- Corporate Secretary
- Deputy Chief Executive Officers
- Divisional Directors
- Department/Sections /Unit Heads
- Office of the Prime Minister
- Minister within the Ministry of Public Works
- Minister of Finance
- Public Utilities Commission (PUC)
- Guyana Energy agency (GEA)
- Government Electrical Inspectorate (GEI)
- Diplomatic Missions
- Research Organisations
- Trade and Business Organisations
- Technical Consultants
- International Funding Agencies
- Relevant Regional and General Public
- International Bodies
- All other relevant Stakeholders
Salary and Benefits:
GPL offers an attractive salary and benefits package commensurate with qualifications and experience.
16:00 hours, Tuesday November 24, 2020.
How to Apply
Applications, Curriculum Vitae, the names and contact information of at least three (3) referees should be submitted to:
Board of Directors
Guyana Power & Light Inc.
91 Duke Street