Assistant Substation and Transmission Planning & Research Engineer
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
We’re excited to announce the search for a results oriented Assistant Substation and Transmission Planning & Research Engineer, to join our team at the System Planning and Research Department – Middle Street, Georgetown Location.
Interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience are invited to apply for this position.
SUMMARY: Performing general technical functions associated with the position of Assistant Substation and Transmission Planning & Research Engineer while, complying with ISO 9001 Quality Management System, GPL’s Performance Management System (PMS), and the other policies and management systems of the Company.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Participate in site visits to gather pertinent data to develop substation concept layouts and transmission line rights-of-way.
- Investigate developing technologies as it relates to new substation technologies such as GIS & PASS, and the use of different transmission line structures and conductors to improve the power system operational reliability and efficiency.
- Develop optimal layouts of new and upgraded substations to maximize available space and to support the need for flexible and reliable operations.
- Provide planned rights-of-way for all Transmission Lines detailed in the Development and Expansion Plan.
- Liaise with Engineering Designs & Standards and Transmission & Distribution Departments to plan transmission expansion projects.
- Provide Bill of quantities for new and upgrade transmission lines and, new and upgrade substations.
- Update GPL’s Development and Expansion GIS database relative to T&D and Substation planned projects.
- Assist with Facility Studies in accordance with the National Grid Code.
- Assist with providing inputs to Draft Project Concept Note, Terms of Reference, and Bankable Project Documents.
- Assist with providing technical inputs to EPC and IPP RFPs.
- Assisting with the Unit’s day-to-day administrative activities.
- Perform other duties that are pertinent to the objectives of the Department’s Action Plan, and by extension, the Divisional Business Plan, to support the Company’s Corporate Strategic Plan, as assigned by or through the Head of Unit, Manager, or the Divisional Director – Engineering Services.
|§ Problem solving and analytical skills
|§ Conflict resolution skills
|§ Flexible and possess the ability to perform effectively under pressure
|§ Familiarity with electric Distribution & Transmission systems
|§ Familiarity with electric generation systems- Renewable and conventional
|§ Familiarity with electric substation systems
|§ Be conversant with Safety Act and GPL Safety Handbook
|§ Be conversant with International Standards such as IEEE, ANSI, ESRA, Safety Codes, GPL Grid Code.
|§ Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
|§ Ability to analyze engineering drawing, designs and using the associated software.
|§ Knowledge of circuit analysis through the use of the appropriate software- AutoCAD and georeferenced tools.
|§ Conversant with ISO Quality Management System
|§ Conversant with GPL Performance Management System (PMS)
|§ Be conversant with the FACTORIES ACT CHAPTER 95:02, OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ACT CHAPTER N0 32 OF 1997, ELECTRICITY SECTOR REFORM ACT CHAPTER 57:01 OF 1999, ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT NO 11 0F 1996 of the laws of Guyana, and the Guyana Power & Light License which include the STANDARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR ELECTRIC SERVICES of October 2010.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Guyana or its equivalent from an Accredited Institution with at least one (1) year relevant experience.
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering from the University of Guyana or its equivalent from an Accredited Institution with at least two (2) years of utility experience relative to the Key Responsible Areas.
Salary Grade: Commensurate with Qualifications & Experience
How to Apply
Applications along with Curriculum Vitae should be submitted to the Senior Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street Georgetown or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, not later than February 15, 2024.