Assistant Protection and Instrumentation Engineer
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
G.P.L Inc. invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the impending vacancy of Assistant Protection and Instrumentation Engineer – within the System Control and Engineering Services Department, Sophia.
Under the general direction of the System Control and Engineering Services Manager, the incumbent will be responsible, for the efficient and effective management of the Protection and Instrumentation workshop along with executing the responsibilities of the incumbent.
- Annual Maintenance & Calibration Schedule
- Minutes of Meetings
- Timely Appraisal Reports
- Weekly Reports
- Training Records
Key Responsibility Areas
- To manage the day to day operations of the Protection and Instrumentation workshop as indicated by detailed schedule or direct instruction.
- To advise staff on all aspects of test and repair of complex and single characteristics activated Electro-mechanical, electronic, pneumatic, and hydraulic and thermal relay or similarly activated instruments.
- To ensure that all Statutory Safety codes, rules and regulations and environmental guidelines are strictly adhered to.
- To prepare and submit weekly reports by the first (1st) working day of the proceeding week.
- To respond within reasonable time to system emergencies at any of the Company’s installations as the need arises.
- Prepare Commissioning and Re-commissioning schedule, annual maintenance program and to establish and update records of the system.
- To orient, mentor and coach subordinate staff in an effort to aid their development of the requisite job skills.
- To host meetings regularly with subordinate staff individually or in a group as may be necessary in an effort to maintain a harmonious work environment, while improving production and productivity.
- Conduct continuous assessment and monitoring staff work performance and development and taking step to correct poor work performance.
- Prepare detailed equipment, material funding and travel requirements for jobs as they are allocated and obtain approval for same.
- Administer and disperse discipline in keeping with Disciplinary Policy Procedure.
- Ensure that the environment and area under control is kept clean and tidy.
- Promptly investigate and make recommendations through written reports with respect to infractions of Safety and Health Regulations and or any other incident not in keeping with good employee behavior and practice.
- Ensure that during the use of Public thoroughfare and or accommodation while on companies business that staff members display a high standard of behavior and conduct.
- Problem solving and analytical skill.
- Computer Programming.
- Time management – ability to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge and use of Microsoft office suite (Word, access, power point and excel).
- The ability to handle multiple task simultaneously and balance competing priorities
- High level of organizational skills
- Ability to read/understand procedures/specifications/drawings etc. in particular those pertaining to the electrical work scope.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Bachelors of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering/Computer Engineering or its equivalent from an accredited institution with at least five (5) years relevant experience. OR Diploma in Electrical Engineering or its equivalent from an accredited institution, City and Guilds, HNC or Higher Technical Diploma with eight (8) years relevant experience. OR Ordinary Technical Diploma (G.T.I) or its equivalent from an accredited institution with at least twelve (12) years relevant experience. Alternatively: Fifteen (15) years’ experience in the relevant field.
GPL Inc. offers an attractive salary and benefits package.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Deputy Human Resources Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown not later than February 12, 2019.