Assistant Data Base Administrator – IT Infrastructure Department – Sophia
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The Guyana Power & Light Inc. invites applications from interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacant position of Assistant Data Base Administrator – IT Infrastructure Department – Sophia.
The Assistant Database Administrator (ADBA), Infrastructure Department, will assist with the planning, management and improvement of all database systems pertinent to the Company’s needs, to deliver swift, secure, reliable and resilient business services to the IT Division’s customers, i.e. GPL staff and other defined users. The ADBA must have the ability to work independently, with guidance but with minimum supervision.
- Assist with the Development of data-driven plans, and communicate those plans, for database systems and related services including cloud computing/ storage, apps and API’s to achieve outcomes identified in Divisional and Company Strategic Plans.
- Maintain the availability of database systems and related services.
- Assist with the Review of outcomes of internal or contracted maintenance
- Implement and proactively report on outcomes of planned actions
- Ensure that documentation pertinent to the company’s database systems, apps, APIs and any related services is prepared and kept up-to-date, and related timely working guidance is routinely provided to appropriate Divisional staff.
- Ensure that systems of securing the databases and apps are implemented and used.
- Accountable that the system of least-privilege database/ application access management for staff and contractors, with prompt access-removal and reporting following movement of staff, resignation of staff, conclusion of contract, etc is enforced.
- Monitor and report on usage of systems and resource-usage of systems.
- Accountable for a high level of customer service to GPL and other defined users, aided by thorough asset management.
- Use a system of promptly communicating with customers, via fall-back/ redundant channels, to provide prior warnings, current advisories and situation updates when warranted by changes in the status or performance of the computing infrastructure.
- Assist with the implementation of ITIL best practices for IT Service Management, and CIS Controls for cybersecurity.
- Research and recommend innovative, cost-effective, and where possible automated approaches for managing and securing GPL’s databases and delivering services.
- Undertake and support change management initiatives to effect a view of staff/ other departments as customers, with departmental work viewed as customer service
- Perform any other related duties that may be assigned by the DBA, Head of Department or divisional executive.
- Documentation pertinent to GPL Database Systems sufficient for asset management, configuration, licence management and renewal, budgeting, and lifecycle planning.
- Proactive communication with the Database Administrator (DBA), other IT Division colleagues, and close coordination with Network Administrator and System Administrator positions and the E-Business & GIS Department.
- Prompt advice to the DBA and other colleagues regarding prior warnings, current advisories, and situation updates to be sent to the user base when warranted by changes in the status or performance of database systems.
- Accountable for proactive reports compiled on metrics for database uptime and performance, patching, updates, asset-management completeness, 3-2-1 backup completeness, and adoption of ITIL(Information Technology Infrastructure Library), ITSM(Information technology service management) and CIS (Center for Internet Security) Controls, based on statistics from routine monitoring and maintenance, along with actions taken, that indicate management/ improvement of database systems.
- Root-cause reports regarding performance issues, user-faults, malware, etc.
- Weekly or daily standups with the DBA.
Required Qualifications and Experience
University Diploma in Computer Science or a related discipline with a minimum of Two (2) years’ experience in Database Administration,
Professional certification in database administration, e.g. Oracle or MS SQLServer with a minimum of four (4) years’ experience in Database Administration.
Certification/ demonstrable portfolio of experience in related computer science areas e.g. Linux Administration, Cloud or Cybersecurity, would be an asset.
How to Apply
Applications along with Curriculum Vitae should be addressed and submitted to the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power and Light Inc., 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown not later than Friday, April 22, 2022.