Assistant Chemist – Quality, Health, Safety & Environmental Division
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The Guyana Power and Light Inc invites applications from interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacancy of Assistant Chemist – Quality, Health, Safety & Environmental Division, Carmichael Street, Georgetown.
Under the general direction of the Chemist, the incumbent will be responsible for assisting with coordinate sampling, analyses, inspections and chemical services.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Assist with Laboratory analysis and sampling:
- Samples and analyses water, fuel, lubricants and transformer oils to be used within the Company.
- Makes up chemical reagents.
- Standardizes pH and conductivity meter, and carry out calibration and verification checks on these and other Laboratory equipment.
- Washes and cleans sample bottles and other glassware
- Analyses are done in a timely manner, to ensure compliance with Laboratory objective
- Reports any unusual development of a chemical nature in the system and recommend corrective measures.
- Preparation of Request For Purchase (RFP) via Oracle, for chemicals and equipment for analytical work in both water & oil Labs
- Recommend test methods for use and assist in the verification of such methods for use in both laboratories
- Ensures the specification of lubricants and fuels receive correspond with the manufacture’s specification.
- Ensures adequate supply of chemicals for analysis is available.
- Assist in the preparation, implementation and improvement of the Quality Management System within the laboratory
- Ensures the preparation of reagents for chemical analysis
- Ensures all chemicals used are within their shelf life and ensures that all equipment is calibrated as per schedule.
- Assist in the preparation of current and capital expenditure budget for Laboratory chemicals, equipment etc.
- Ensures a safety-focused culture within the Laboratory and associated activities. Be conversant with Occupational Safety and Health act.
- Provides or arranges appropriate support and coaching for staff to ensure continual improvement.
- Assist in conducting field related activities.
- Inspects road tankers /vessels used to transport fuel within the company.
- Assists in the monitoring of housekeeping for Laboratories
- Assist in the monitoring of chemical dosing of boiler, reserve feed tanks and cooling water systems.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an Authorised Officer.
- Strong, scientific and organizational skills.
- Must be self-motivation, adaptability and a positive attitude
- Knowledge of ISO Policy and Procedures
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and keep accurate records.
- Good working knowledge of operational power plant chemistry and water treatment plant
- Be familiar with current environment codes, legislation
- Ability to problem solve and make a detailed analysis
Required Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry from the University of Guyana or an accredited Institution, with two (2) years experience in an Industrial/Power Generation environment.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc. 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown not later than August 31, 2021.