Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
Guyana Power & Light Inc hereby invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of an Accountant, which exists within the Finance Division – Head Office, 40 Main Street, Georgetown.
Under the general direction of the Chief Accountant, the incumbent will implement and execute strategic plans, provide timely and accurate information for effective decision making along with the following duties:
ESSENTIALS OF THE JOB:
- Provide a high quality support service to Executive Management, Divisional Directors and Line Managers in the organization by preparing, developing and analyzing management accounting information for effective decision making, variances and adverse deviations from budgets and communicating with Divisional Directors and/or managers on potential overspending in a timely manner.
- Develop, implement and monitor internal control systems that provide reasonable assurance of an effective and efficient operation. Positively contribute to the maintenance of approved financial practices, policies, and procedures in compliance with best International Accounting Standards, throughout the Company and in its dealings with external bodies. Prepare and evaluate the monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with IAS and Statutory requirements.
- Managing and maintaining effective internal controls of the organization payroll system and payments to suppliers. Ensure that all payments are properly authorized and made in a timely manner in keeping with the respective agreements.
- Budgeting, planning and forecasting for the various projects. Monitor the progress, investigate variances and approve expenses of all projects within the organization whilst ensuring that the appropriate Divisional Directors and Managers receive timely, accurate and relevant information pertaining to same.
- Maintain accurate records of the organization assets whilst providing adequate information to executive management on the verification, safeguarding and tracking of the Company’s fixed assets.
- Design, implement and monitor systems to ensure that the corporation receives maximum value for money expended for procurement related activities. Prepare and present management reports to inform the various levels of management on procurement and inventory issues to improve the effectiveness, efficiency and the cost of these activities. Monitor all contracts entered into and report in a timely manner all issues of concern.
- Participate in periodic reviews of strategies and procedures that will ensure all financial and commercial activities are undertaken in full compliance with the provisions of the Electricity Sector Reform Act 1999 and the Standard Terms and Conditions for Electric Services.
- Knowledge and application of the Procurement Policy as approved by the Board of Directors.
- Knowledge and application of the International Organisation of Standardisation (ISO).
- Ensure that the statutory financial statements and management accounts are prepared on a timely basis and are in conformity with the requirement of the law and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Assist in setting performance targets, evaluating performances and identifying the training needs of subordinates.
- Exercise effective discipline over subordinate staff in keeping with the Company’s Rules and Regulations and the Collective Labour Agreement (CLA).
- Conduct continuous assessment and monitoring and coaching of staff work performance and development, taking steps to correct poor work performance.
- Ensure that the environment and work area under your control is kept safe, clean and tidy.
Required Qualifications and Experience
A qualified member of a professional accountancy body (ACCA, CIMA, CPA or internationally recognized equivalent) preferably with two (2) years relevant experience in a similar management role.
A Bachelor’s Degree (BSc.) in Accountancy or Finance along with five (5) years experience in a similar management role.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted, to reach the Deputy Human Resources Manager 257/259 Middle Street, Georgetown, not later than August 07, 2019.