System Administrator – Information Technology Division – Sophia
Job Description/Key Resonsibilities
The Guyana Power & Light Inc. invites applications from interested candidates with the requisite qualifications and experience to fill the vacant position of System Administrator – Information Technology Division – Sophia.
Under the direction of the, Infrastructure Manager – IT, the incumbent will be responsible for planning, managing and improving Guyana Power & Light (GPL)’s Servers/ Systems, to deliver swift, secure, reliable and resilient business services to Information Technology Division’s customers, i.e. GPL staff and other defined users.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Develop data-driven plans, and communicate those plans, for the Servers/ Systems and related services including cloud computing/ storage to achieve outcomes identified in Divisional and Company Strategic Plans.
- Plan, monitor and adapt network architecture in a strategic manner to deliver the user experience and security desired by the company – secure the Servers/ Systems from cyber threats, including intrusion and data theft.
- Design, install/ configure, monitor, analyze, troubleshoot, administer, maintain and secure the Servers/ Systems, and prepare for disaster response.
- Prepare budget proposals for implementation of plans and maintenance of the WAN
- Plan purchases, with consideration of outcomes, and ensure sufficient inventory of Server equipment and spares (e.g. hard drives, power supplies, etc.).
- Ensure that documentation pertinent to the Company’s servers is prepared and updated, and related timely working guidance is routinely provided to appropriate Divisional staff.
- Provide technical support to business units on Servers/ Systems related issues.
- Implement a system of holding credentials for important Servers/ Systems infrastructure and external services in escrow.
- Ensure that systems of monitoring and securing the Servers/ Systems are implemented and fully used, including devices and software example, PRTG, Wazuh SIEM and Antivirus.
- Implement and proactively report on outcomes of planned actions.
- Implement and manage a verifiable system of least-privilege access management for staff and contractors, with prompt access-removal and reporting following movement of staff, resignation of staff, conclusion of contract, etc.
- Monitor and report on usage of systems and resource-usage of systems, and improve performance by analysis.
- Implement a high level of customer service to our Internal and other defined Users, aided by thorough asset management.
- Implement and use a system of promptly communicating with customers, via fall-back/ redundant channels, to provide prior warnings, current advisories and situation updates when warranted by changes in the status or performance of the computing infrastructure.
- Implement or assist with the implementation of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) best practices for Information Technology (IT) Service Management, and Customer Information System (CIS) Controls and Benchmarks for cybersecurity.
- Research and recommend innovative, cost-effective, and where possible automated approaches for managing and securing Guyana Power & Light’s Servers/ Systems and delivering services.
- Undertake and support change management initiatives to effect a view of staff/ other departments as customers, with departmental work viewed as customer service
- Perform other duties that may be assigned to you within the scope of your employment, from an Authorized Officer.
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Knowledge of computer network troubleshooting and problem analysis and resolution skills
- Knowledge of DHCP, DNS and other protocol and standards
- Understanding of IT Security
- Familiarity with LAN, WAN and Net Devices
- Written and Verbal Communication
- Ability to work independently, with minimum supervision
Required Qualifications and Experience
CompTIA Server+ or equivalent, Microsoft Certified Windows Server or equivalent and Active Directory, server build (including virtualised), administration and security with at least five (5) years’ relevant experience.
University of Guyana Degree in Computer Science or a related discipline would be an asset. Certification/ demonstrable portfolio of experience in related information technology/ computer science areas e.g. Linux Administration, Cloud or Cybersecurity, would be an asset with at least six (6) years’ relevant experience.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted to reach the Human Resources Services Manager, Guyana Power & Light Inc., 257/259 Middle Street Georgetown or email firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Tuesday, June 28, 2022.